What is slow beauty and why do we believe in it?
Slow beauty is the opposite of the “quick fix”. Slow beauty refers to getting to the roots of where real beauty exists. Beauty really does start from the inside-out. The slow beauty movement is kind of like being an activist for clean and pure skincare and self-care products. We don’t allow harmful chemicals and toxins that can harm our health in our makeup, skincare, or other self-care products and this rule also applies to manufacturing and processing practices.
Sure, some of these toxic chemicals and lab-made synthetic ingredients offer the “quick fix” to some of our beauty needs, but you are exposing your skin to toxins such as artificial colors, fragrances, and heavy metals, not to mention synthetic preservatives that prolong shelf-life. These chemicals can cause health issues from allergies and hormone disruption to infertility and cancers. You need to decide what is important to you. Do you go for the quick fix method and increase your health risks or do you take your time and really take care of yourself? In the end, the better you care for yourself, the better you can care for others and the better your quality of life is.
Pros and Cons of Natural Makeup
- Contains ingredients from nature (usually plant-based)
- Has fewer or no harmful synthetic ingredients
- Safe to use on sensitive skin
- Usually eco-friendly
- Better processing and manufacturing practices
- Shorter shelf life due to lack of synthetic preservatives
- Natural pigments less vibrant than synthetic dyes
- Smaller shade selections
- Usually more expensive
Pros and Cons of Regular Makeup
- Longer shelf life
- Brighter colors due to synthetic pigments
- Larger shade collection
- Less expensive and widely available
- may be linked to unfavorable health effects
- contains more harmful synthetic ingredients
- higher risks of allergic reactions
- can be harsh on sensitive skin
- may be harmful to our ecosystem